It's a Love Story

True story:

Today I had the great honour and privilege of presiding at a marriage. As we prepared, I asked the couple, as one will often do, how they met.

They told me the story of how they had come to know each other while they were both working in different departments at the local Rona store. He worked in plumbing and she was in the flooring department. It was just a nice little story and they were a very nice couple who obviously loved each other very much and so their story put me in mind of the greatest love story every written.

That was why I started my sermon today like this:

"If you are at all like me, you found that to be a beautiful story - a classic love tale. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more it reminded me of the greatest love story of all times. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when William Shakespeare took up his pen to write what many consider his best play and what was certainly his best romantic play, didn't he open it with these words:
"Two sections, both alike in dignity
In the fair Rona, where we lay our scene,         
She toils in the flooring dispensary,       
He, with the pipes among the porceline.
From forth these various store departaments.
A pair of star-cross'd lovers share their lives;   
And join together with excitement         
To be the best of all husbands and wives."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hymn for Canada Day

Honoured to have been in the room where it happened

Why we really need to stop harmonizing the two stories of the birth of Jesus.